Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snow leads to Strep?

Last Friday, I saw my first snow of the season in Hamburg. It didn't snow for long, and it didn't stick to the ground, but it was still a beautiful sight to see snow falling outside.

Snow falling outside the classroom window.
Of course I had to go out and play in the snow during our
break. The flakes were enormous!

Mia was very proud of her artistic
medicine photo, so I told her
I'd put it on my blog
Although the snow was a lovely surprise, it's weeks like these that remind me how running around in the snow is not such a smart idea after all. After two weeks of unhealthy eating habits, irregular sleeping patterns, and improper attire for the weather, my body finally shut down. I went to the doctor today and found out that I have a really bad case of bronchitis, and after the blood work and throat culture come back tomorrow, I'll know for sure whether or not I have strep throat. Knowing how I feel though, I'm 99% sure I'll test positive for strep. The doctor gave me a ton of medicine, so hopefully I'll be back on my feet by tomorrow. Unfortunately, this illness could not have come at a worse time. Mia, one of my best friends from high school, arrived in Hamburg yesterday evening and will be here until Friday! Thankfully, her jet lag successfully complimented my illness, so neither of us protested to an early bedtime or a relaxed evening. :)

After my doctors appointment, we took a tour of the Rathaus. The Rathaus is Hamburg's City Hall and houses both the Senate and the Parliament. The building has been destroyed multiple times, but the current Rathaus was built in the 19th century. It luckily remained intact during WWII after the fuse to a 500lb bomb failed to ignite. I have included a few pictures of the Rathaus below.

Front entrance of the Rathaus.
Too sick to impersonate the door, but you
get the idea.
The Parliament and Senate meet here every Wednesday
afternoon from 1pm - 11pm.  
Meeting Hall
One of the rooms had a carved statue representing each
continent that Germany considered a major trading
partner. This carving represents The New World.
One of the many fireplaces in the Rathaus.
One of the rooms was made entirely from carved wood. The
wood was carved by 80 orphaned boys who were hired as
apprentices for 5 years. In return, they each received a free
education. Each boy signed his name to the wood marking
the spot that he carved. This is just one of the 80 examples.
During The Great Fire of 1842, extreme heat
caused cinder blocks to melt together. 
A breathtaking chandelier in the Great Hall

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're feeling better. Enjoy your trip to Italy with Mia. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete